Friday, March 7, 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel




The new Wes Anderson film has what True Detective's Rust Cohle would call "scope" and "sprawl," spanning decades and invoking the darkness that periodically intrudes upon civilization via stylized versions of Stalinism, Naziism, and Communism.

But at heart it's a caper and a confection--and the confection is much larger than the tiny weapons with which some of them are literally stuffed in the film.




I prefer my historical revisionist comedies more of the Quentin Tarantino mold (e.g., Inglourious Basterds).  Not that I didn't like this film--there's nothing unlikeable about it.  It has Anderson's charm and wistful admiration of grander times.   But I didn't really love the movie, and in fact dozed off two or three times even though I went to a 7:30 show.

For me, Moonrise Kingdom was a far more engaging film, with more heart and soul. 

P.S.  The movie also reminded me a lot of Donna Tartt's novel The Goldfinch, which I'm halfway through, and feeling half-hearted about its story and writing.

Showing with the film was the hot trailer for the new Jim Jarmusch vampire film with Tilda Swinton and Tom HiIddleston, Only Lovers Left Alive (great title, too).   That one really got my attention:  



There's a sold out screening of it on 3/10 at LACMA, followed by a Q & A with Swinton and Henry Rollins.  I may just have to check out the stand by line....


To comment on this post, click the comments link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment